My current time waster/procrastination tool is the show Mad Men. I haven’t been living under a rock, I was familiar with the plot from hearing all the ranting and raving from others, but I had other procrastination tools in place. Now, I’m one of those people who won’t shut up about how great the show is, how handsome Don Draper is, etc. etc.
This show definitely makes you think about different times. I can’t comment on the accuracy, I’m not from the 60s nor have I researched that time period whatsoever, but it brings up some very obvious differences between then and now, particularly when it comes to women in the workforce and child rearing. I’m not getting into all that, only the 6 things that watching Mad Men makes me want to do on the reg:
- Wear bright red or pink lipstick at all times. Is there much else that makes a girl feel instantly sexier? I went to a concert recently and wasn’t in the mood to spend a bunch of time getting ready, doing the hair, picking out an outfit, etc. so I went with dark jeans, a black v-neck tee and some mighty bright pink lipstick. Happened to get more comments on “looking great!” than when I waste all that time.
- Hair curlers. Whyyyy do these need to be so time consuming.
- Have a glass of scotch or whiskey after I accomplish anything at work. Heck, even half-accomplishing anything requires a Dark Drink Celebration!
- Wear gloves with dresses. Does anything look more classy? Guess I’d need to find invitations to soiree’s, balls, etc. to get the chance to don some satin, elbow-high gloves with any dresses. Guess I’d need to find the dresses, too.
- Dye my hair red, stay out of the sun for a few weeks, and learn to play the accordion. Joan is such an interesting character. I love her, I hate her, I want to be her, and she’s an awesome bitch.
- Cruise around in a 1960s Buick. Wind in my hair, Don Draper at my side, bumping along to some Paul Butterfield…